23.10.05

reflection

I'm interested in the idea that the primary
characteristic of the mind is reflection

matter (and this is not to prejudge the question
of the relationship of mind and matter)
does not reflect - or so it would seem

except I suppose that our first metaphor for
reflection is physical - a physical relationship
as i.e. - in the case of a physical reflection

so maybe reflection is not a distinguishing
characteristic of mind -

in any case it makes the question of just what
reflection is - more crucial

so we have at least the basic idea of physical
reflection - we know what this refers to -
we have the experience

does it still make sense to speak of the mind
reflecting?

how does this come out?

'I have a thought'

now the 'I' here is what?

a thought -

whatever else it is - it is this

and so 'I have a thought'

is what?

a thought - within a thought -

to put it very crudely

a thought referring to a thought?

(even cruder)

a thought having a thought?

what can all this mean?

but there is something else

within the 'I' - there is

the 'I' that knows that the 'I' is having a thought

so are we talking about three thoughts here?

all very strange - and terribly clumsy

but we have to start somewhere

so the question - 'what is a thought?''

we can only answer this with another thought

and so it is clear

we cannot expect thought to explicate itself -
and what else is there to do the job?

or another way of putting it

thinking has no outside

you can only think 'within'

within - thought

so it's Plato's cave without the shadows?