21.5.06

I doubt therefore I am

in general my position is a comprehensive scepticism

the question of mind - of the mind-body relationship

is a question we cannot know the answer to

and I mean this in a constructive sense

so far I have argued that the question of mind -
the problem of the nature of mind - cannot be settled
empirically

mind has no objectivity

so to regard it - from - a physicalist - materialist
point of view

is just not possible

it is not that it is wrong

it just cannot be done

the mind does not exist as an observable entity -

and to the question of its relationship to the body -

this is not a question at all

it cannot strictly speaking be raised

it is not that - there is not such and such a relationship

my view is that it is wrong headed to ask the question

for any answer to the question

presupposes a relationship between what is observable
with what is not

we can't say there is not such and such a relationship

it is that we can never know

- therefore the question is ill conceived

this is my first point

the next thing to say is that the reason the question -
the issue arises - and appears sensible

is just because

someone thinks they know something

my point is that knowledge of the outside world -
and knowledge of the inner world

are strictly speaking limited to their domains

there is no cross over

so how to deal with this?

the answer I think is this

and it's a kind of Spinozistic argument

it is that the inner and outer realms are dimensions
or expressions

of a more fundamental reality

or perhaps - description

what is known is the inner - is the outer -
mind - matter

I see these dimensions (and their 'stuff')
as expressions of a singularity - that is
(except in terms of their expressions) -
literally and obviously - unknown

it is if you like - a logical ground

that is without character

it is the description necessary - if the two kinds
of 'experience' (inner /outer) are to be unified -

it is what cannot be said

cannot be known

the 'open description'

it is what I think Spinoza - meant - or should
have meant by 'substance'