12.1.07

inner experience

since Descartes at least

the argument on both sides of the river is that inner experience is privileged

in that it is my experience and direct

we begin with consciousness

and its relationship with the outside world

this - a primal reflection

(you don't have to start with this reflection

you can begin where and how you like

but as a starting point it is rather uncontraversial

it is where I start)

OK

but let's not get too excited

about inner experience

firstly it is not at all clear what it is

even from the inside

how do I describe my thoughts -

if that's the tag I'm going to give inner experience?

well with other - what?

thoughts

so - there is no explanation

x is x

perhaps in different clothes

at different times

we don't know what inner experience is

what experience is

we can describe it logically

i.e. - it is not - that which is not experienced

?

yes

you think I jest

experience - is what it is - whatever that is - and not what it is not

since we can reflect on the matter and come at it from different angles

different characterizations are possible

only characterizations of thought by thought

and we need also to ask -

just how inner - inner is?

I grant it is compelling at a primal level

but reflectively it is anything but -

or should I say does not have to be

perhaps inner experience - is only inner because it works best to divide reality so?

if you take the view - e.g. - that everything that exists is fundamentally of the same status - whatever that may be

you might say - everything is objective - even the so called inner life

this I think is Spinoza's view of the matter

that it is just - another natural fact

a fact that has the same status -

as other objective states - i.e. the weather

and is therefore in no sense privileged

perhaps if you like - seen from an objective stand point -

to be just another - unremarkable - fact of the world

knowledge just another natural phenomenon

and so there are views -

and views - perspectives - perceptions -

are just like leaves on a tree

there is no privilege

inner experience

my sense of myself is what?

an inner experience?

how is this to be distinguished from the outside?

my body in the world -

isn't this all I know?

and is this inner experience?

of what - the outside?

how to distinguish inner from outer?

what separates?