12.2.07

meditation I

the argument of the first meditation

one can be totally deceived

that is all one believes could be false

this argument assumes knowledge to begin with

but curiously as an unknown

if I don't know (and I don't) what is true

then yes I may well be deceived

but how would I know this?

unless I was already sure about what the standard of truth is

if I don't know this

I can't know that I am deceived

deception presupposes knowledge

Descartes' argument in the first meditation

leaves knowledge - truth assumed - but not stated

questioning this assumption - that there is indeed knowledge

destroys the argument of universal deception

we are left with doubt - not certainty of deception

doubt regarding the grounds of our belief

we have no grounds for the argument of universal deception

for we have at this stage no standard of universal truth

and doubt here should be for Descartes - not knowing with certainty

perhaps certainty is doubtful

does this mean that we do not know?

if it is the case that there is no certainty -

how can we know we are deceived?

Descartes argument operates with an unknown standard of knowledge

and he asks could everything be false -

relative to this unknown?

the fact is we can't say

we don't know

we can't know

we have I suggest no grounds for doubt - in the first meditation