16.1.08

Hegel 105

Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit:

105.


ARGUMENT:


since this certainty no longer comes to us when we direct its attention to a Now that is
night or an 'I' to whom it is night -

we will approach it - and let ourselves point to it

for the truth of this immediate relation is the truth of this 'I'

were we to examine this truth afterwards - it would lose its significance entirely

we must make ourselves into the singular 'I' - which is the one who knows with
certainty


COMMENTARY:


this singular 'I' - which 'knows with certainty' is an illusion -

this particularity is immediate - but there is no certainty in this immediacy

the epistemological status of this immediacy is at the very least an open question -
hardly a matter of certainty

what I will put is that the immediate is unknown

the argument is simple really -

any 'knowledge' is reflective - and therefore by definition non-immediate

that which is immediate is therefore (by definition) - unknown

and what this amounts to is that experience - or what Hegel calls sense-certainty -
is unknown

this does not in any way take away from its reality - experience is indeed real - but it is
as immediate experience unknown

and it is for this reason that we reflect on it

'certainty' in epistemological terms is certainly (excuse the pun) not immediate -

it is a conclusion of an epistemological argument regarding status

in so far as I operate in immediacy I operate in the unknown

philosophers might have trouble getting this - lovers never have

it is also clear from what Hegel has said above that I choose my 'I'

i.e. I can place myself in an immediacy and operate from there -

this is to operate in the pure unknown

on the other hand I may take a reflective stance - a non-immediate position and thus
operate in a theoretical or explanatory mode

what is clear is that 'I' that makes these choices is an 'I' that is neither of these choices

that is no choice -

this 'I' - the underlying the 'I' is simply the ground of choice in a logical sense

and so I would say it is best to regard the self as a 'logical place'

its reality is logical - which is to say - functional

pure function