27.8.05

personal identity II

let's get straight to it

the 'self' is best seen as a construct of
consciousness

it is, if you like, - 'objectively speaking'
(of the point of view of a taxonomist) - necessary -
for the basic function of consciousness

it is a parameter

that on the one hand defines the world - 'not self'

also - it posits 'place' - in the space of consciousness

the 'self' is a place

a place of focus

- of and for consciousness

the self - is a necessary point

can we imagine consciousness without this posit -
perhaps -

it would be by definition - undefined

(it would not know itself - or the world -
there could be no relation between the two

it would simply be another feature of the world -
of the landscape -

I can't see in what sense it would be 'observable'

the idea seems nonsensical

and is thus

and argument by default to the view that -
all consciousness - must be self conscious -

if so then

the positing of self - is but the fact of consciousness

anyway

the 'self' as I am presenting it - is - a logical space

the characteristic of its 'content' I will suggest is -
fluidity

we are talking here of conceptions -

conceptions - descriptions - of who I am

this is finally a very particular matter

particular - though -within certain contingent -
'universal' states of being

here is where the whole weight of science bears down

I cannot be anything - have concepts - descriptions
that are not of my nature

my nature - though not fixed - in any sense -
is defined by 'given' regularities - regularities that
may not persist - in any necessary sense - but have a
contingent stability

so this if you like - the second level of self

the next level - I call personal

conceptions of myself that have sense only given the
history of myself -

they may have logical characteristics similar to others -
(must have) - but are particular to my existence is
space / time - a unique 'event'

but even at this level - there is no 'fixity'

the characteristic - yet again is fluidity