25.8.05

personal identity

personal identity

is the fact of self-consciousness

we can say 'I am here'

and 'here' - the space of me - me in space

is a given

a given - overwritten by time

so space provides us with a sense of place

and we are always 'in place'

time

is the denial of place

a denial we do not sense

one though - we know on reflection

(we are always on reflection - 'out of time')

hence

at the centre of consciousness
the paradox

I am / I am not

any description I make of myself will entail this paradox

it is the paradox of space and time

space is negated by time

'here' - is gone in the moment of it's acknowledgment -
from the point of view of time we are left with the illusion
of space (place)

time negated by space

my sense of place overrides the passing of time -
place is eternal - hence time the illusion

consciousness - awareness

transcends this paradox

my awareness of myself

my sense of self

is an ideal posit

of consciousness

a function if you like that - stands apart from its
reflections and analyses - in this case - a meta
reflection and analysis - of space and time