28.6.06

an inside job

what I have been arguing is that the mind is not
a brain function

that the mind is the inside - the internal dimension
of things

and of this I say we have no observational knowledge -

no objective knowledge

knowledge of the mind is reflective

this is not to say all mind is capable of knowledge -
that all mind is reflective

the inside of a cell?

does a cell know itself? - I doubt it - but I suspect
there is some ontological sense - in its functioning -
but this though is not awareness

(interesting question - I think I'll have to swat up
on Liebnitz

monads just might be the go here)

perhaps here

mind and body are identical in some kind of way?

that the physical complexity of a human brain -

is matched

not with complexity - in the physical sense

but with the complexity that is - reflective consciousness

so the identity is one of fit - one of match

the inside of a human cell - is not conscious of its
complexity - for the reason that it is
not complex

in fact for all intents and purposes - not much point
in referring to the consciousness - or the mind of a cell

Damasio I think made the point that mind is a characteristic
of complex living things - he didn't seem too enthused about
the consciousness of i.e. - a rock

and this point I think is that mind comes with living
complexity

I see the point

but still I put my 'inside story'

admittedly on metaphysical grounds

but I would say the inside of an inanimate object - is -
likely to be - as active as its outside

- no movement

and in any case what I want to say is you could never know -

knowledge of mind - other minds - is - essentially -
analogical - in relation to higher order living things -

metaphysical - otherwise

that is an entity if an entity - is metaphysical two
dimensional - inside / outside

otherwise we are not talking about a thing

i.e. - it makes no sense to say - there are things
that just have an outside -

and likewise - no sense to speak of entities that just
have an inside -

no comfort therefore to ghostbusters