15.2.07

perception and truth

if perception is all we have to go on

how can it be other than - what we perceive - is true

there is no other approach

just different angles of perception

and different ways of interpreting what is perceived

OK

but are we to equate awareness with truth?

I am aware of x

where does truth come into the picture?

I suggest when I state x

assert x

make the claim - that x -

we are then dealing not with awareness or perception

but rather assertion

and then the matter is a question of the conditions under which the assertion is true

which is to say - under what conditions do I give my assent to the assertion?

so in short truth is always a claim

about what is

at a simple level of discourse we begin by determining if the claim has a basis in
perceptual awareness

this is not a bad place to start